Thursday, November 1, 2012

Well...I'm Already Melting Down

First off….I don’t want to be only negative after the first 2 games, but I have very little choice here.  I’m sick of excuses and hearing or reading that “it’s about making progress” and “it will take time” and all that frustrating "marathon-not-a-sprint" coach-speak.  It’s a $100 million payroll…it should always be about wins and losses.  And guess what?  This “time” that it’s supposed to take will ultimately BE about wins and losses when we are on the road in key playoff games!  I hope I’m eating my words come May and June. 

Obviously, it would be immature for me to call for Mike Brown’s head after 2 games so I won’t…but you know I’m thinking it.  The worst part is that through 2 games the problems aren’t limited to anything specific.  The problems are everywhere.  If I wrote immediately after the opener vs. Dallas I would be ranting about the inefficient/over-thought Princeton Offense and how it makes no sense for our two newly acquired superstars.  I’d be going nuts about how it is a college offense designed for a 35 second clock and how having Dwight Howard consistently involved in dribble-handoffs 18-feet from the hoop with 5 on the shot-clock is moronic and blah blah blah.  Now, after the Portland debacle, all I can think about is the pathetic defense (which is supposed to be Brown’s staple…yeah right).  This defense was supposed to keep us afloat while the offense “took time.”  Instead, clean stops are few and far between and Sasha Pavlovic, Wesley Matthews and Nic Batum look like Golden State's Run TMC from the early 90s.  Once again, wasn’t this supposed to be Mike Brown’s strong point???

Listen…we’re 2-16 (including a “meaningless” preseason which obviously carried over) since being up 3-1 on Denver in last season’s playoffs.  That’s a lot of non-winning going on.  This losing can lead to a lot of deeply-rooted negativity and bad habits and I believe it truly is.  Through these past 2 games, I (and anyone else who is watching) see lackluster energy, minimal hustle and pitiful urgency.  Meanwhile, the best version of these qualities is all I see out of our hungry opponents.  Now, I’m not saying this is Mike Brown’s fault and the players are not at all responsible.  But this team seems disconnected, confused and, most importantly, uninspired.  They are not coming close to their potential and they don’t seem “together.”  Doesn’t managing all of these intangible elements fall into a coach’s job description at some point? 

Regardless of who is at fault, the bottom line is simply that the job is not getting done.  The only thing Brown is getting done for sure is depriving my sleep.  I tossed and turned until 3am thinking about this crap.  He should respect the fact that I live in NY and had to work today when we were embarrassing ourselves in the 4th quarter and it was already 1am!!!!  Doesn’t he know this?

I will leave you with a final question...if you are still interested:

What’s up with Laker PGs?
One minute into last night’s game at Portland I felt we were at a disadvantage in the PG matchup.  By the way, Portland was starting a rookie (in his very first game!!) and we were starting a Hall of Famer.  Yet, they had the clear edge.  Shouldn’t it be the other way around?  Well…it wasn’t.  Their guy could get exactly where he wanted.  Their guy was putting unbelievable pressure on our defense.  Their guy was way too quick.  It’s like a curse for PGs to come to the Lakers and a blessing to be playing against them (see:  Aaron Brooks).  This dude Lillard had 23 points and 11 assists.  When is the last time a Laker PG had a line like that?  And what about Darren Collison the night before?  He looked like an all-star as he led his undermanned group starring Brandan Wright and Roddy Beaubois to a very efficient offensive night.  Ugh Ugh Ugh

Truth be told…I am afraid to watch our game against the Clippers on Friday.  The frustration potential is through the roof.  @DS_Lakers should be blowing up.  Let’s hope it’s with the first good news of the regular season.

The Lights Are Out,
Antonio Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment